Don’t Answer Calls From These 5 Area Codes If you Live In Utah
Your phone rings and you don’t recognize the phone number. It could be a telemarketer or someone trying to scam you. You have to decide to answer it or let it go to voice mail. This gets extra tricky if you are waiting for a phone call from a possible employer or something medical or any other number of reasons.
Here are the most suspicious area codes to avoid according to social catfish.
1. Area Code 268: This is from Antiqua and Barbuda and the area code is known to be used by scammers trying to defraud you.
2. Area Code 876. This one is associated with Jamaica and used by scammers, especially work-at-home scams.
3. Area Code 473. This one is in Grenada and Carriacou, also used heavily by scammers.
4. Area Code 649. Belongs to Turks and Caicos Islands. You can bet it is a scammer.
5. Area Code 284. Associated with the British Virgin Islands. Scam alert.
This list will help you know not to answer the call if you see any of these area codes. It is not the call you are waiting for.
These scammers are always looking for new ways to reach people. If you receive a suspicious call, do not engage the person. Do not give personal or financial information no matter what. Call someone you trust and tell them what has taken place. A quick call to the business they said they represent will clear things up.
You can also take these precautions:
You can add your number to the National Do Not Call Registry, which is managed by the FTC. This registry is designed to help reduce unwanted telemarketing calls. You can also install call-blocking software on your phone or contact your phone carrier to see if they offer this service. These tools can help you block unwanted calls from scammers.
If you want to feel better, watch one of the YouTube videos where they scam the scammers. Just know these videos can waste most of your afternoon because it is really fun to watch. Also, be aware there can be some bad language.